New Orleans, Louisiana, is a vibrant city known for its rich history, unique culture, and delicious food. While it may be famous for its nightlife and party atmosphere, New Orleans is also a fantastic destination for families with children of all ages. On the other hand, with a variety of kid-friendly attractions, museums, and outdoor spaces, there’s no shortage of things to do in New Orleans with kids.
In this post, we’ll explore 100+ best family-friendly activities in New Orleans. Whether you’re planning a weekend trip or a longer vacation, New Orleans is sure to provide a memorable experience for the whole family.
Why New Orleans Is A Great City For Families
New Orleans is a great city for families for many reasons. Firstly, it’s a city with a rich history and unique culture, which makes it a fascinating place to visit for both kids and adults. From the colourful architecture of the French Quarter to the vibrant music scene, there’s something for everyone in New Orleans.
In addition to its cultural attractions, New Orleans is also home to many family-friendly activities and attractions. The Audubon Zoo and Aquarium of the Americas are popular destinations for families with young children. At the same time, older kids and teens will love exploring the Louisiana Children’s Museum or taking a swamp tour to see alligators and other wildlife up close.
Moreover, New Orleans is a city that loves to celebrate, with numerous festivals and parades happening throughout the year. From Mardi Gras to Jazz Fest, there’s always something going on in New Orleans that the whole family can enjoy.
Finally, New Orleans is known for its delicious cuisine, a mix of Creole, Cajun, and Southern flavors. Plenty of family-friendly restaurants in the city serve classic New Orleans dishes like gumbo, jambalaya, and beignets, as well as more kid-friendly fare like pizza and burgers.
All in all, New Orleans is a great city for families because it offers a unique blend of culture, history, and fun that is sure to entertain and educate kids of all ages.
100+ Fun & Stunning Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids
New Orleans is a vibrant city with plenty of things to do for kids of all ages. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or just having fun, there are plenty of activities to keep your family entertained. Here are over 100 things to do in New Orleans with kids, organized by category:
Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids: History and Culture
- Visit the National World War II Museum, which offers interactive exhibits and educational programs for kids.
- Explore the historic French Quarter, including Jackson Square, St. Louis Cathedral, and the Cabildo.
- Take a ghost tour to learn about the spooky history of the city.
- Learn about the history of slavery at the Whitney Plantation.
- Visit the New Orleans Jazz Museum to learn about the city’s musical heritage.
- Take a swamp tour to learn about the ecology of the area.
- Tour the Mardi Gras World to see how floats are made.
- Visit the Ogden Museum of Southern Art to learn about art from the region.
- Explore the New Orleans Museum of Art to see a variety of art and artifacts.
- Walk through the historic Garden District to see beautiful homes and architecture.
- Take a riverboat tour to see the Mississippi River and learn about its history.
- Explore the St. Louis Cemetery to see historic graves and learn about burial traditions.
- Visit the Longue Vue House and Gardens to see beautiful landscaping and historic architecture.
- Learn about the history of voodoo at the New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum.
- Take a cooking class to learn about Creole cuisine.
Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids: Outdoor Activities
- Visit Audubon Zoo to see a variety of animals.
- Explore the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas to see fish, sharks, and other aquatic life.
- Take a bike tour to see the city’s landmarks and neighbourhoods.
- Visit City Park to see beautiful gardens and play areas.
- Take a carriage ride through the French Quarter.
- Visit the New Orleans Botanical Garden to see a variety of plants.
- Take a walking tour to explore the city’s history and architecture.
- Go fishing in the Mississippi River or nearby lakes and streams.
- Visit the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve to explore the wetlands.
- Take a paddlewheel boat ride to see the city from the water.
- Visit Bayou Segnette State Park for hiking, fishing, and camping.
- Go on a bike ride along the levees.
- Play a round of golf at one of the city’s many golf courses.
- Visit the Audubon Zoo to see a variety of animals from around the world.
- Walk or bike along the Lafitte Greenway, a 2.6-mile linear park and trail.
- Take a bike tour to see the city’s historic neighbourhoods and landmarks.
- Visit the Longue Vue House and Gardens to see beautiful flowers and plants.
- Take a carriage ride to see the city’s historic architecture.
- Explore the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge to see local wildlife.
- Visit the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve to learn about the city’s history and culture.
- Take a paddlewheel boat tour on the Mississippi River.
- Take a nature walk through the Barataria Preserve.
- Go on a kayaking or canoeing trip on one of the nearby waterways.
Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids: Festivals and Events
- Attend the annual Mardi Gras celebration, which includes parades and parties.
- Attend the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival to hear music from local and national acts.
- Take part in the French Quarter Festival, which showcases local music and food.
- Attend the Voodoo Music + Arts Experience to see performances from a variety of artists.
- Celebrate the Fourth of July with fireworks.
- Attend the Satchmo SummerFest to honour Louis Armstrong and other jazz musicians.
- Attend the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, a multi-day music festival featuring a variety of performers.
- Celebrate Mardi Gras, the city’s famous carnival season, with parades, costumes, and lots of fun.
- Attend the French Quarter Festival, a free music festival featuring local musicians and food.
- Visit during the Christmas season to see the city’s stunning holiday lights and decorations.
- Attend the Po-Boy Festival, a celebration of the famous New Orleans sandwich.
- Participate in the Running of the Bulls, a New Orleans twist on the famous Spanish event.
- Attend the Voodoo Music + Arts Experience, a music festival featuring popular and emerging artists.
- Enjoy the Bayou Boogaloo festival, which features live music, food, and crafts.
- Take part in the annual Oyster Festival to sample local seafood.
- Attend the New Orleans Wine and Food Experience to try local cuisine and drinks.
- Celebrate Halloween with the Krewe of Boo parade and other spooky events.
Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids: Entertainment and Activities
- Ride the streetcar along St. Charles Avenue to see historic homes and neighbourhoods.
- Visit the Louisiana Children’s Museum to play and learn.
- Take a Segway tour to explore the city in a unique way.
- Play mini golf at City Putt in City Park.
- Visit the Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium to see a variety of creepy crawlies.
- Watch a movie at the historic Prytania Theatre.
- Play arcade games at the popular Dave & Buster’s.
- Take a cooking class to learn how to make beignets and other local treats.
- Visit the Historic New Orleans Collection to learn about the city’s past.
- Explore the New Orleans Public Library to read books and attend events.
- Visit the New Orleans School of Cooking to learn about the city’s culinary traditions.
- Attend a live performance at the Saenger Theatre or the Orpheum Theater.
- Take a dance class to learn how to salsa, tango, or swing dance.
- Visit the Southern Food and Beverage Museum to learn about the history of food and drink in the South.
Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids: Sports and Recreation
- Attend a New Orleans Saints football game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
- Watch the New Orleans Pelicans play basketball at the Smoothie King Center.
- Play a game of basketball, volleyball, or tennis at one of the city’s many parks.
- Swim and play at one of the city’s public pools.
- Play soccer or baseball at a local field.
- Attend a horse race at the Fair Grounds Race Course.
- Attend a roller derby match with the Big Easy Rollergirls.
- Skate at a local roller rink.
Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids: Food and Drink
- Try a po-boy sandwich at a local restaurant.
- Sample beignets et café au lait au Café du Monde.
- Try gumbo, jambalaya, and other Creole and Cajun dishes at a local restaurant.
- Visit the French Market to try a variety of foods and snacks.
- Try a sno-ball, a local frozen treat similar to a snow cone.
- Try a muffuletta sandwich at Central Grocery.
- Visit a local farmers market to buy fresh produce and other goods.
- Try a praline, a local candy made with pecans and sugar.
- Visit a local brewery to sample craft beer.
Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids: Historical Landmarks
- Take a tour of the Louisiana State Capitol building in Baton Rouge, just a short drive from New Orleans.
- Visit the historic St. Louis Cathedral in the heart of the French Quarter.
- Walk along the levees of the Mississippi River to see the city’s iconic riverfront.
- Explore the historic Jackson Square, a public park in the heart of the French Quarter.
- Visit the 1850 House to see what life was like for a wealthy New Orleans family in the mid-19th century.
- Take a tour of the Hermann-Grima House, a historic home that has been preserved as a museum.
- Visit the Beauregard-Keyes House to see a beautifully restored historic home in the French Quarter.
- Explore the Cabildo, a historic building that now serves as a museum and cultural center.
Things to Do in New Orleans With Kids: Tours and Excursions
- Take a haunted history tour to learn about the city’s spooky past.
- Visit a voodoo shop and learn about the city’s mystical traditions.
- Take a swamp tour to see alligators and other wildlife up close.
- Explore the city’s famous cemeteries on a guided tour.
- Take a culinary tour to sample the city’s famous cuisine.
- Take a bike tour to see the city’s historic neighbourhoods and landmarks.
- Visit a plantation to learn about the city’s antebellum past.
- Take a ferry ride across the Mississippi River to Algiers Point, a historic neighbourhood with great views of the city.
With so many options, there’s no shortage of things to do in New Orleans with kids. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or just having fun, the city has something for everyone.
Well, this is it for today. Here in this post we tell more than 100 things to do in New Orleans with kids. However, New Orleans is a fantastic destination for families with kids, offering a wide variety of activities and attractions to suit all interests and ages.
From outdoor adventures to museums and historical landmarks, from festivals and events to shopping and culinary experiences, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant and unique city. Whether you’re exploring the French Quarter, taking a swamp tour, or enjoying some beignets and live music, New Orleans is sure to provide unforgettable memories for the whole family.