This post will tell you 100+ fun things to do in Columbus this weekend. However, Columbus, Ohio, is a vibrant and dynamic city with diverse activities and attractions to offer visitors. Whether you’re a resident or just visiting for the weekend, there’s no shortage of fun things to do in Columbus. From exploring the city’s many parks and outdoor spaces to indulging in the culinary delights of its restaurants, Columbus has something for everyone.
This post will highlight some of the best activities and events happening in Columbus this weekend so you can make the most of your time in this exciting city. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the top fun things to do in Columbus this weekend!
The City Of Columbus And Why It’s A Great Place To Spend A Weekend
Columbus is the capital city of Ohio and the third-largest city in the Midwest, known for its friendly atmosphere, diverse culture, and rich history. This vibrant city offers various activities and attractions, making it an excellent destination for a weekend getaway. Columbus has something for everyone, from its world-class museums and art galleries to its beautiful parks and outdoor spaces.
In addition, Columbus is home to some of the region’s best restaurants, breweries, and bars, making it a great place to indulge in local cuisine and nightlife. Whether you’re interested in sports, the arts, or history or just want to relax and enjoy the city’s charm, Columbus is an ideal weekend place.
e a great time and create lasting memories. So go ahead, plan, and enjoy all that Columbus offers this weekend!
100+ Fun Things to Do in Columbus This Weekend In 2023
Here are more than 100 fun things to do in columbus this weekend in 2023:
1. Explore the Columbus Museum of Art
Start your weekend adventure by visiting the Columbus Museum of Art. Located in the heart of the city, this museum showcases an impressive collection of American and European art spanning various periods.
From classical masterpieces to contemporary works, the Columbus Museum of Art offers a diverse range of artistic expressions. Take your time to admire the exhibits, learn about the artists’ stories, and gain a deeper appreciation for the world of art.
2. Stroll through the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Escape into a world of natural beauty at the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. This stunning oasis is home to a vast array of plant species from around the globe.
Take a leisurely stroll through the lush gardens, marvel at the exotic flowers, and breathe in the fragrant aromas. The conservatory also hosts various special exhibitions and events throughout the year, so be sure to check their schedule for any exciting happenings during your visit.
3. Experience the vibrant Short North Arts District
If you’re a fan of art, culture, and vibrant nightlife, the Short North Arts District is a must-visit. This eclectic neighbourhood is filled with art galleries, boutique shops, and trendy restaurants.
Explore the streets lined with colourful murals, browse through unique art pieces, and indulge in delicious cuisine at one of the many local eateries. In the evening, the district comes alive with live music, theatre performances, and a lively atmosphere that will keep you entertained well into the night.
4. Enjoy a day at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
For a fun-filled day with family or friends, head to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. This world-renowned facility is home to a wide range of animals from all corners of the globe.
From majestic elephants to playful penguins, you’ll have the opportunity to observe and learn about fascinating creatures from around the world. The
5. Discover the historic German Village
Step back in time and explore the charming German Village, a neighborhood known for its rich history and well-preserved architecture. Take a leisurely stroll along the cobblestone streets lined with quaint houses and beautifully manicured gardens.
Visit the Book Loft, a beloved local bookstore housed in a pre-Civil War era building, and lose yourself in its extensive collection of books. Don’t forget to stop by Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant, a local institution serving delicious German cuisine that will satisfy your taste buds.
6. Visit the innovative Center of Science and Industry (COSI)
Unleash your curiosity at COSI, a hands-on science centre that offers interactive exhibits and engaging experiences for visitors of all ages. From exploring outer space in the planetarium to conducting experiments in the laboratory, COSI is a place where learning becomes fun. Dive into the fascinating world of science, technology, and innovation as you participate in educational activities and discover the wonders of the universe.
7. Indulge in local cuisine at the North Market
A visit to Columbus wouldn’t be complete without savouring the local flavours at the North Market. This bustling public market is a food lover’s paradise, offering a wide range of culinary delights.
From fresh produce and artisanal cheeses to international cuisines and delectable desserts, the North Market has something to satisfy every craving. Grab a bite to eat, mingle with the locals, and immerse yourself in the vibrant food culture of Columbus.
8. Take a scenic walk along the Scioto Mile
Enjoy the beauty of nature in the heart of the city by taking a leisurely walk along the Scioto Mile. This stunning urban park stretches along the banks of the Scioto River and offers breathtaking views of the skyline.
Admire the art installations, relax in the green spaces, or rent a bike and explore the riverside trails. Whether you’re looking for a peaceful escape or an active adventure, the Scioto Mile provides a perfect setting to unwind and connect with nature.
9. Attend a live performance at the Ohio Theatre
Immerse yourself in the arts by attending a live performance at the historic Ohio Theatre. This grand venue showcases a variety of shows, including Broadway productions, concerts, and ballet performances.
Marvel at the opulent architecture, adorned with intricate details and a stunning chandelier. Sit back, relax, and let the captivating performances transport you to another world, leaving you with lasting memories.
10. Explore the innovative exhibits at the Wexner Center for the Arts
For contemporary art enthusiasts, a visit to the Wexner Center for the Arts is a must. This cutting-edge institution showcases a diverse range of visual arts, film screenings, and live performances. Explore the thought-provoking exhibits that push boundaries and challenge conventional notions of art. Engage in conversations with fellow art lovers and immerse yourself in the creative atmosphere that the Wexner Center has to offer.
11. Immerse yourself in history at the Ohio History Center
Delve into Ohio’s fascinating past at the Ohio History Center. This comprehensive museum takes visitors on a journey through time, showcasing the state’s history from its earliest inhabitants to the present day.
Explore the interactive exhibits, learn about the significant events that shaped Ohio’s identity, and gain a deeper understanding of the region’s heritage. The Ohio History Center offers a glimpse into the past, providing valuable insights into the culture and traditions of Ohio.
12. Relax at the beautiful Inniswood Metro Gardens
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and find tranquility at the Inniswood Metro Gardens. This serene oasis features meticulously landscaped gardens, tranquil ponds, and winding pathways. Take a leisurely stroll through the blooming flower beds, breathe in the fragrant scents, and listen to the soothing sounds of nature.
Find a peaceful spot to sit and unwind, or bring a book and enjoy some quiet reading time surrounded by the beauty of the gardens. With its lush greenery and serene atmosphere, Inniswood Metro Gardens offers a perfect retreat from the busy city life.
13. Discover the wonders of the Columbus Park of Roses
If you have a fondness for roses and other beautiful blooms, the Columbus Park of Roses is a must-visit destination. This enchanting park boasts over 12,000 roses, showcasing a vibrant array of colors and fragrances.
Take a leisurely stroll along the rose-lined pathways, admire the different varieties of roses, and soak in the picturesque surroundings. The park also features other charming gardens, such as the Herb Garden and the Perennial Garden, adding to the diversity of floral delights.
14. Engage in outdoor activities at the Hocking Hills State Park
For outdoor enthusiasts seeking adventure, a trip to Hocking Hills State Park is a must-do. Located just a short drive from Columbus, this natural wonderland offers breathtaking landscapes and thrilling activities. Explore the deep gorges, cascading waterfalls, and rugged cliffs that make up the park’s unique topography.
Embark on a hiking trail to Old Man’s Cave or Ash Cave, where you’ll be mesmerised by the sheer beauty of nature. If you’re feeling more adventurous, try rock climbing, zip-lining, or canoeing in the park’s designated areas. Hocking Hills State Park is a paradise for nature lovers and thrill-seekers alike.
On the other hand, here are some additional travelling tips to enhance your experience in Columbus.
- 13+ Stunning Waterfalls In Ohio You Need To Visit In 2023
- 100 Fun and Exciting Things to Do in Ohio This Summer
Travelling Tips for Columbus You Must know If You Are Planning To Visit This Place
Here are some travelling tips that you must know if you are planning to visit columbus this weekend:
1. Plan Ahead
Before your trip, research the attractions, events, and dining options in Columbus. Create a rough itinerary to make the most of your time and ensure you don’t miss out on any must-visit places.
2. Check the Weather
Columbus experiences varying weather conditions throughout the year, so be sure to check the forecast for the duration of your stay. Pack appropriate clothing and accessories to stay comfortable in different temperatures and conditions.
3. Transportation Options
Consider using public transportation, such as buses or the downtown trolley, to navigate around the city conveniently. Alternatively, ride-sharing services or renting a car are viable options for more flexibility and convenience.
4. Stay in Central Locations
Look for accommodations in central areas of Columbus, such as downtown or the Short North District. Staying centrally will give you easy access to major attractions, restaurants, and nightlife options.
5. Try Local Cuisine
Columbus boasts a vibrant food scene with diverse culinary offerings. Don’t miss the chance to indulge in local favourites like the famous Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams or try unique dishes at ethnic restaurants in different neighbourhoods.
6. Explore Beyond Downtown
While downtown Columbus has plenty to offer, venture out to neighbourhoods like German Village, Short North, or the University District. These areas showcase the city’s diverse culture, arts, and local charm.
7. Check for Events
Keep an eye out for special events, festivals, or concerts happening during your visit. Columbus hosts numerous cultural, art, and music events throughout the year, providing additional entertainment options.
8. Stay Hydrated
Remember to stay hydrated, especially during outdoor activities or long walks. Carry a refillable water bottle to quench your thirst while exploring the city.
9. Stay Safe
Like any other city, it’s essential to practise basic safety precautions. Be aware of your surroundings, especially in crowded areas, and keep your belongings secure. If you’re unsure about certain neighbourhoods, consult locals or your hotel staff for guidance.
10. Enjoy the Outdoors
Columbus offers several parks, gardens, and nature reserves. Take advantage of the beautiful green spaces and enjoy activities like picnicking, hiking, or biking. Don’t forget to pack sunscreen, comfortable shoes, and a camera to capture the memorable moments.
By following these travel tips, you’ll have a smooth and enjoyable experience exploring all the exciting things Columbus has to offer.
50 Fun Things to Do in Columbus This Weekend In 2023 For Adults
If you’re an adult who is looking for fun things to do in Columbus this weekend, then here are 50 things that you can do:
- Visit the Columbus Museum of Art and explore the exhibits.
- The Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens are worth a visit.
- Attend a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey game at Nationwide Arena.
- Check out the Ohio Theatre for a live performance or movie.
- Go shopping at the North Market.
- Visit the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium to see the animals.
- Take a tour of the Ohio Statehouse and learn about Ohio’s history.
- Go on a brewery tour and taste local craft beers.
- Attend a live music show at Express Live!
- Explore the Scioto Mile, a park along the Scioto River.
- Cooking classes are available at the Seasoned Farmhouse.
- Go on a food tour to try local cuisine.
- Take a hike at Highbanks Metro Park.
- At Lower.com Field, you can watch a Columbus Crew soccer game.
- Learn about science and technology by visiting the Center of Science and Industry (COSI)
- Take a bike tour of the city.
- Go on a ghost tour of haunted places in Columbus.
- Visit the Funny Bone Comedy Club to see a comedy show.
- Visit the German Village and explore the historic homes and shops.
- Painting with a Twist offers painting classes.
- Check out the Columbus Athenaeum for a cultural event.
- Tour the city on a Segway.
- Visit the Wexner Center for the Arts for contemporary art exhibitions.
- Go on a kayaking or canoeing adventure on the Scioto River.
- Take a dance class at the SwingColumbus dance studio.
- Visit the Franklin County Fairgrounds for a fair or festival.
- Attend a performance at the Shadowbox Live! theater.
- Take a yoga class at Yoga on High.
- Go to a karaoke night at a local bar.
- Visit the Franklin Park Adventure Center for indoor rock climbing.
- Go on a hot air balloon ride over Columbus.
- Attend a sports event at Ohio Stadium.
- Visit the Columbus Commons for outdoor events and concerts.
- Take a photography class at Columbus State Community College.
- Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through town.
- Attend a dance performance at the BalletMet Columbus.
- Go to a trivia night at a local bar or brewery.
- Visit the Ohio Craft Museum for handmade crafts.
- Attend a music festival, such as the Columbus Arts Festival.
- Take a pottery class at the Glass Axis.
- Attend a wine tasting at a local winery.
- Visit Topiary Park, a park with living sculptures.
- Take a fitness class at Orangetheory Fitness.
- Attend a theater performance at the Lincoln Theatre.
- Visit the Columbus Idea Foundry, a maker space.
- Go on a food and drink crawl in the Short North Arts District.
- Visit the Columbus Cultural Arts Center for art classes and exhibits.
- Attend a book club meeting at a local bookstore.
- Visit the Ohio History Connection for historical exhibits.
- Take a pottery class at the Clay Cafe Clintonville.
Columbus, Ohio Festivals and Annual Events in 2023
- The Columbus Chocolate Wine and Whisky Festival will take place on January 28, 2023.
- The Arnold Sports Festival will take place from March 2 to 5, 2023.
- Columbus Brew Festival will take place on March 11, 2023.
- Spring African American Heritage Festival 2023
- Spring Columbus International Film and Animation Festival 2023
- The Equine Affair will take place on April 13-16, 2023.
- COSI Science Festival will take place in May 2023.
- Columbus Taco Fest will take place in May 2023.
- Buckeye Country Superfest will take place on May 27, 2023.
- Ohio Black Expo will be held on May 26-29, 2022.
- The Memorial Tournament will take place from May 29 to June 4, 2023.
- Columbus Arts Festival is scheduled for June 9-11, 2023.
- Stonewall Columbus Pride will take place in June 2023.
- Creekside Blues and Jazz Festival is scheduled for June 16-18, 2023.
- Juneteenth Celebration in Ohio: June 17-18, 2023
- TBD Red, White, and BOOM!: July 3, 2023
- Westerville Music & Arts Festival will take place on July 8th and 9th, 2023.
- Jazz and Rib Fest is scheduled for July 21-23, 2023.
- The Ohio State Fair will be held from July 26 to August 6, 2023.
- Dublin Irish Festival is scheduled for August 4–6, 2023.
- Pelotonia: August 4-6, 2023 Festival Latino: August 25-27, 2023 CBUS Soul Fest: August 25-27, 2023 Wonderbus: August 25-27, 2023
- TBD Fiery Foods Festival
- Upper Arlington Labor Day Arts Festival: September 4, 2023 Columbus Greek Festival: STBD
- Columbus Oktoberfest is scheduled for September 8-10, 2023.
- Columbus Coffee Festival is scheduled for September 23-24, 2023.
- Columbus Cartoon Crossroads: September 27 – October 1, 2023
- Columbus Italian Festival: To Be Determined Columbus Fashion Week: To Be Determined Highball Halloween: October 2023
- TBD Ohio Made Holiday Market
- Short North Holiday Hop: December 2023 Columbus Winterfair: TBD
This is the end of this post about fun things to do in Columbus this weekend. As you can see, Columbus offers a wide range of activities and attractions for every interest and preference. From immersing yourself in art and culture to indulging in delicious cuisine and exploring the great outdoors, there’s never a shortage of things to do in Columbus.
So, whether you’re visiting for the weekend or planning a longer stay, make sure to include these must-see destinations in your itinerary. Columbus is a city that will captivate your heart and leave you with cherished memories. By getting out and exploring the city, you’re sure to have a great time and create lasting memories. So go ahead, plan, and enjoy all that Columbus offers this weekend!
Q1. What are some outdoor activities to do in Columbus this weekend?
If you love the outdoors, Columbus offers various outdoor activities that you can enjoy this weekend, such as exploring the Scioto Mile Park, visiting the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, and having a fun-filled day at the COSI Science Museum.
Q2. What are some family-friendly activities to do in Columbus this weekend?
Columbus offers various family-friendly activities that you can enjoy this weekend, such as visiting the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, exploring the COSI Science Museum, and having a picnic at the Scioto Mile Park.